Florida Amendment 12
My view on...
Amendment 12 - Lobbying and Abuse of Office by Public Officers
This one I really like, and this is one that should be part of our Constitution. As we all know once a Legislature or government employee retires and is removed from office they can get jobs as a lobbyist. They currently must wait two years before they can lobby state governments. This amendment increases the time limit to SIX years, and it extends its reach to statewide office holders such as Cabinet members.
A YES vote will
- Extend the ban on state lobbying by legislators and statewide elected officials from two to six years.
- Prohibits legislators and statewide elected officials from lobbying federal and local government agencies while in office.
- Prohibits top state agency employees form any lobbing while working for the state and from lobbing state government for six years after leaving their jobs
- Prohibit local elected officials from getting paid to lobby anyone while in office and from lobbying their own government body for six years after leaving office
- Prohibits judges from lobbying any branch of state government for six years after leaving the bench
- Prohibit any elected official or public employee from using his or her position to gain a “disproportionate benefit” a term to be defined by the state Ethic Commission
A NO vote will
- Keep in place the current constitutional restrictions lobbying by sitting and former government officials
As always knowledge is POWER, educate yourself and vote according to your conscience but VOTE